MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Find and Replace
Posted by: Ken Gillett
Date: July 07, 2021 03:35AM

I changed a table name and tried to use 'Find' to look for all occurrences of the old name to Replace with the new one. That would be all column names (including indexes and foreign keys), but the Find function seems to be somewhat lacking, to put it mildly. This ONLY concerns the model and NOT any data in the database (of which there is none as still designing the schema).

First of all, on the Mac, selecting menu option Edit>Find simply places the cursor into the search box at the top right (so one might as well just click there). There are NO options offered from the menu as I have read elsewhere are supposed to be available (like scope of search in a dedicated dialog box).

Then unless you type at a frantic pace, each character simply replaces the previously typed character in that search box. No-one types that fast in normal use and you cannot paste in the full search word. So you have to type a character, press the right arrow key and then you can type the next one etc. Words cannot describe how utterly hopeless is this implementation of a search box into which one is supposed to type.

To cap it all, it fails to search anywhere except the table names. In other words, it is useless at what it even pretends to be able to do, after you get around all the obstacles to actually entering anything to search for in the first place. I searched for a column name that most definitely existed (I could see it), but apparently 'No Matches'.

So I spent a tediously long time and did it manually. Searching for all occurrences that I could think of since MSW was incapable of doing this apparently simple task.

Or am I missing something? Is there some secret arcane method of utilising the incredible computing power at my disposal to perform a simple text search and replace throughout the database model?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Find and Replace
July 07, 2021 03:35AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.