MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

15 years on and no progress
Posted by: Arkady Bron
Date: July 19, 2021 05:39AM

I last used MySQL workbench about 15 years ago, and I can't say that it was an auspicous encounter. It was clunky, badly designed, kept crashing and generally difficult to set up and work with.

I recently completed a project that interfaces with local access dBases and MS-SQL server dBases. At the 11th hour, my client requested that it should also be able to work with MySQL dBases. It took me about 3 hours to write the classes required in my projects DAL and with that done a I set up a MySQL server instance on my production server so that I could begin testing and tweaking the new feature.

I downloaded and installed workbench, to begin configuration and to migrate one of my test databases to begin testing.

To my utter dismay, I discover that this tool has not progressed in any meaningful way since I last used it.

It crashed 5 times when trying to connect to my server instance, it is generally just as badly designed and implemented as it was 15 years ago. I have wasted half a day trying get it to connect to either a local access dB; which apparently can only be achieved using ODBC, which is not working on a 64 bit machine for reasons??? And when trying to connect to a running MySQL server instance it crashes/ or stops, without error reporting or explanation of any kind.

Quite frankly I am appalled. I give up.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
15 years on and no progress
July 19, 2021 05:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.