MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Data Recovery

Restore DB from backup instead of export
Posted by: Jackie Griffith
Date: February 15, 2018 12:24PM

I am a total newbie to this area and I'm treading lightly. Please be kind!

I had a website created in WordPress stored on a server that was decommissioned. I backed-up all my WordPress files, and transferred them to a new host on a new server. I did not understand at the time that that wouldn't be enough - I did not export the SQL database from the original host.

The old host has been able to provide me with a copy of my SQL sub-directory from backup tapes via a zip file. They gave me everything from the folder "/var/lib/mysql/webname".

I'm not able to import that zip file on the new host - an error comes up saying the character set doesn't match. I've been in touch with tech department at new host site and they tell me that I MUST have the SQL database EXPORTED from the old host in order to import it to the new host.

As I said.... this won't be possible because the server is long gone. I have access to all the data though!

Does anybody know how to recover my SQL database from the condition it is currently in? Failing that.... is there another directory on the old server's tape backup that we could also extract to help complete the database??

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Restore DB from backup instead of export
February 15, 2018 12:24PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.