MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/C++

Re: Boost library (should be) deprecated
Posted by: Walter Oney
Date: May 07, 2020 04:29AM

Follow-on to my post:

<rant>It *is* simple to build a connector, and I can't fathom why Oracle opted for the turgid approach it did. All you need to do is write your own header file that declares the exports from libmysql.dll and link with libmysql.lib, both from a legacy version of the C connector (I chose 6.1.11).

The thing that makes it APPEAR hard to use the published connector source is the needless profusion of typedef's and #define's. It would have been simple for Oracle to publish a single header file with prototypes like this:

typedef void* MYSQL;
MYSQL* __stdcall mysql_init(MYSQL*);
etc.

Combined with the documentation at https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/mysql-init.html, this is all the hapless Windows developer needs.

Speaking again with the voice of a curmugeon with 50 years of software development experience, I opine that one should not reinvent the wheel by redefining native data types. That might have been necessary 30 years ago when the C language was in its infancy and there were multiple, incompatible, x86 compilers. But it's emphatically not necessary now.
</rant>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Boost library (should be) deprecated
May 07, 2020 04:29AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.