Re: trying to connect to mysql - gives me linker errors
Posted by: Navid Madani
Date: May 30, 2010 09:25AM

I have run into similar problems using Visual C++ 2010. In my case, I suspect that the .lib files were compiled using a different toolchain and were therefore incompatible with VC++ 2010's linker.

Creating MySQL clients for Windows deployment is more difficult than using other database backends. Documentation for compiling MySQL that I could find was GCC/Unix/Linux-specific and I could not find any Windows-platform specific how-to's. I guess one could also blame VC++'s lack of backward linker compatibility.

I'll probably bag MySQL altogether and stick to MS Access for small projects and MS SQL for larger ones, which is really easy using Visual Studio. Providing better/readily accessible support to compatible libraries for the Windows platform would go a long way for MySQL, so Oracle/MySQL should consider this: end-users would be purchasing supported MySQL versions while developers use the community versions to develop. For any developer who walks away from MySQL, several customers are lost. Almost all small businesses use the Windows- rather than Linux/Unix-based deployment platforms. If I am missing the obvious, please correct me.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: trying to connect to mysql - gives me linker errors
May 30, 2010 09:25AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.