Re: Prepared statements: choosing bind types
Posted by: Hasani Blackwell
Date: January 18, 2006 07:27PM

Are you talking about uploading or downloading bind values?

For uploading
=======================================================
You can pass strings as I mentioned before, and it will do implicit conversions

e.x.:
I ran
http://www.estorecorp.com/mysql/implicit_conversion.html

and my output was

1/18/2006 7:52:53 PM[MySqlDataProviderTester.exe] HB!HB.Data.GenericDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery: [mysql5 test server] ExecuteNonQuery: CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE foo(age INT NOT NULL, year INT NOT NULL)
1/18/2006 7:52:53 PM[MySqlDataProviderTester.exe] HB!HB.Data.GenericDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery: [mysql5 test server] ExecuteNonQuery: INSERT INTO foo VALUES(?, ?)
1/18/2006 7:52:53 PM[MySqlDataProviderTester.exe] HB!HB.Data.GenericDbCommand.ExecuteReader: [mysql5 test server] ExecuteReader: SELECT * FROM foo
24, 1981
Press any key to continue

For downloading
=======================================================

I believe you can't because MYSQL_BINDs work on pointers for passing output values.
You will need to write code to do what you want (Returning the current row values as an array of strings)
It's a TEDIOUS task!!!!!!
but once it's done, you'll never have to look back.

I had to write 22 c++ classes for working w/ the MYSQL_BIND for a mysql ado.net provider I was working on. I had to make a class for each bind type E.x.: Int24, Int16, Int64, Blob, Byte, Time, Numeric, etc.

I'm sure there's a logical reason for the craziness. I initially thought that it was to reduce network traffic.... It would only retrieve the column data with each call to mysql_stmt_fetch_column but the documentation says the the resultset is stored on the client, and not the server.

Best of luck =]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2006 07:33PM by Hasani Blackwell.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
January 18, 2006 12:15PM
Re: Prepared statements: choosing bind types
January 18, 2006 07:27PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.