Re: mysql-installer-community-5.5.29.0.msi installs MySQL Server 5.5 into "C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX"
Posted by: Janick Mantov
Date: December 26, 2012 08:25AM

Hi there,

I'm still struggling... found a few other issues concerning the universal installer - it doesn't know 32 bit from 64 bit! (by the way, I am running on 32 bit Windows 7 Professional)

-----------
As you might already have noticed, I reboot before install/uninstall, whenever some changes were made to the registry or temporary files - this way I have a clean beginning so I know, what is the reason for any given change.

The installer flooded my registry a few times (didn't uninstall properly) so now I remove the installer using the Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features > MySQL Installer > Uninstall - this seems to be more reliable but I still go through the registry to do a manual cleanup, searching for "C:\ProgramData\MySQL" and "C:\Program Files\MySQL" - sometimes it just doesn't clean up everything...

-----------
mysql-installer-community-5.5.29.0.msi first installs itself into C:\Program Files\MySQL (it would have been nice to ask for prefered install-dir first) and unpacks its internal msi-installers into "C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Installer\Product Cache"

Then I am asked (by Windows) if I will allow the following program to makes changes on my computer: "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Installer\MySQLInstaller.exe" mysql-5.5-win64

My computer runs on 32 bit Windows 7, so I said No

At this point I decided to go through the process manually, using the installer's 32 bit msi-installers.
(using Windows Explorer) Browse to "C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Installer\Product Cache" and doubleclick mysql-5.5.29-win32.msi

MySQL Server 5.5 Setup Wizard is running > Accept Licence agreement > Costom Installation and BINGO!!
The default location is initially "C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX" (I still wonder where that came from??)
Now I have the opportunity to set the location right! :-D

MySQL Server 5.5 Setup Wizard went on installing > then some Enterprise Edition advertising > Checkbox (checked): Launch the MySQL Instance Configuration Wizard (clicked the Finish button) >
(Windows: ) "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?: C:Dev\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\bin\MySQLInstanceConfig.exe"
My choice: Yes, please do! :-)

----------------
Arhhh, but then I realized that the datadir is placed without the possibility to specify its location (did Imiss something??) - and even though the installation created and published (C:Dev\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\data with the right content) my datadir now resides in "C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\data", which is OUTSIDE my specified folder. :-(

By searching the registry for "C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\", I found 13 entries referring to that location... do I dare to google this one and risk even more work?

Well, I was not in the mood for another reinstall - and since the datadir was already in place, I pushed my luck - I stopped the service, corrected my.ini and restarted the service. Voila! It works... so this leaded to a very dirty hack - i changed the path directly in my registry on all 13 locations (about the same level of ugliness as the installer that messed up my registry in the first place).

Now I have a MySQL running where I want it to be! ...and after yet another reboot ;-), I deleted "C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5" as well.

Now I just need the rest of the package - think I might just run the universal installer's 32 bit msi-installers - I wonder what happens if I move "C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Installer" to "C:\Dev\MySQL\MySQL Installer" - maybe that will work for me and put everything in the right place...

~~~~~~~~~~
OK, there's been ups and downs - I know you guys do a great effort to automate the installation for me, but please, do test properly before releasing - this is annoying and creates far more work than a noinstall-zip + step-by-step instructions.

The initial problem might have be burried inside mysql-5.5.29-win32.msi - or was it this msi-installer that installed on my disk in the first place?? ...or is it more generically placed in some central perl-script deep inside all packages?

I hope this is usefull to somebody out there on the bleeding edge (at least i'm bleeding ;-))

Best regards

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.