MySQL 5.6 Password Issue - Please Help!
Posted by: Tim Bradley
Date: January 09, 2015 10:20AM

Hello Everybody,

Recently I was attempting to setup a site backup on a mysql database but the password I had written down for the root user account did not seem to be working. I ended up following the manual and trying to perform a password reset but I still can't seem to access the root account. I got some errors while performing the reset and I'm wondering if I did anything wrong, this is what I did.

I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ mysql 5.6

I created a text file named mysql-init.txt and saved it on the c drive that contains the following:
UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('password1') WHERE User='root';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

*where password1 is the new password I want for the root user account*

Then I stopped the mqsql 5.6 service and opened up command prompt and entered:
"C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\bin\mysqld" --defaults-file="C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\my.ini" --init-file=C:\mysql-init.txt

When I hit enter with this command it spits out the following errors and command prompt becomes unresponsive. The mysql service does not actually start (I've waited around 20 minutes before closing the cmd).
[Warning] option 'read_buffer_size': unsigned value 0 adjusted to 8192
[Warning] option 'read_rnd_buffer_size': unsigned value 0 adjusted to 1
[Warning} option 'sort_buffer_size': unsigned value 0 adjusted to 32768

After that occurs, the mysql service will not start again until I restart the computer. Once I restart the new password I tried to set still does not work, I get an access denied error if I try to login to the root account with it.

If I close the command prompt and run the command again or attempt to run it again after a restart I get the same errors.

To make matters worse after attempting the reset one of my services that relies on the database needs to be updated with a correct root password to work again. Any help that you guys can give is greatly appreciated, I really hope that I can get this working again.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MySQL 5.6 Password Issue - Please Help!
January 09, 2015 10:20AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.