MySQL Windows Server Remote Access and Missing ini
Posted by: George Deprez
Date: November 03, 2015 11:33PM

Hello,

I created new AWS server and installed MySQL Server 5.7 on it.

I spent 2 days trying to figure out how to connect my Workbench on my home PC to the Amazon Web Server EC2 instance.

I believe it is a problem with bind-address in my.ini (based on Internet research).

I have enabled port 3306 on firewall.

Netstat shows 127.0.0.1:3306

If I want to access from remote site, it seems logical that I bind to a public address not the local 127.0.0.1 address.

It seems that MySQL does not support binding to multiple address and binding to 0.0.0.0 is required with additional firewall rules to restrict to my PC address.

I have renamed my-default.ini to my.ini and added 'base-address=0.0.0.0' to it. I restarted twice and no change to netstat.

Unfortunately, most Internet sites explain Linux configuration and Windows installation instructions are lacking.

Some suggest that there should be a set of ini files in the installation that can be renamed as my.ini file. Unfortunately, I have not found them in the latest 5.7 installation. All I found was my-default.ini in 'C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7' directory.

Since I am on AWS micro free account, I need the my-small.ini but can not find it.

If anyone has this file, I would much appreciate it.

And if anyone can point me in the direction to simple configuration, I would appreciate it even more. Specifically for remote access.

One final note is that I intend to run a web server on the AWS which will connect to MySQL. My remote access is only for ease of development from my PC where I have my IDEs and test environment.

Thanks to All.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MySQL Windows Server Remote Access and Missing ini
November 03, 2015 11:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.