Re: MySql 5.7.19 Community MSI Installer upgrading from 5.6.37 does nothing
Posted by: Jay Jaeger
Date: September 25, 2017 02:45PM

So, since there had not been a reply for a day, I proceeded.

First, the first time I restarted the installer today, instead of showing me a product list, it showed me the two upgrade entries (for Connector/ODBC and Connector/J). I told it to go ahead and do those upgrades.

Then I was still pretty much in the same state I was in yesterday.

So then I tried "Add..." and NOW (unlike yesterday) there was an entry for MySQL 5.7.19 that I was able to add (by clicking on the less-than-intuitive right arrow to add it to the list).

So I "added" MySQL Server 5.7.19, MySQL Documentation 5.7.19 and MySQL Samples and Examples 5.7.19

SOME BAD THINGS HAPPENED. The Documentation and Samples and Examples were added (leaving the 5.6 versions also in place)

THE INSTALLER NEVER ALLOWED ME TO CHOOSE WHERE TO PUT THE PROGRAM FILES. It just put them in C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (X86). THIS IS ANNOYING, because my C: drive is an SSD with limited space. I want to be in control of what gets installed where. The 5.6.10 => 5.6.37 upgrade did not do this!

The MySQL56 service was gone.

Just for fun, I told it to remove MySQL Server 5.7.19. That did exactly (wait for it) NOTHING.

So, then I proceeded to configure 5.7.19. That went OK (though in the end it was probably pointless).

IT DID NOT REMEMBER WHERE I HAD PUT MY DEFAULTS FILE BEFORE (which were in the service configuration).

IT CREATED A NEW DATA DIRECTORY (instead of realizing I already had one, and doing an upgrade on it, the way the 5.6.37 upgrade had done)

IN SHORT, IT DID NOT DO AN UPGRADE AT ALL. IT DID A NEW INSTALL.

Yeesh.

So, then, I proceeded

I did a physical copy of the old data directory (using WinZIP to save space)
I stopped the (now MySQL57) service
I changed the options to point to my old data directory
I started the service
I did a mysql_upgrade -u root -p (Fortunately this was successful)

I THEN HAD TO GO BACK AND "Remove" Workbench, Notifier, Excel Support and the old DOC and Samples.

THEN I HAD TO ADD the newer versions of Workbench, Notifier, Excel, Utilities, Shell, Router, Connector ODBC and Connector/J.

AFTER I DID THAT *THEN* IT ALSO SHOWED ADDITIONAL UPGRADES for Connector/ODBC and /J. What a pain.

I was then "in business" except that:

The full path was in some .bat files. In my case, only two. If I had a bunch, I would arrange for some way to hide that.

The variable secure_file_priv default of NULL on Windows broke some of my scripts. I just set it to an empty string (secure_file_priv=) in my.ini

After fixing that, everything seems OK.

What a PITA. IHMO, the installer is just plain broken.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: MySql 5.7.19 Community MSI Installer upgrading from 5.6.37 does nothing
September 25, 2017 02:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.