MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL for Excel

Maintaining the link between tables and excel
Posted by: Steve Adams
Date: March 12, 2014 04:20PM

Hi All

I have successfully installed the excel add-on and when I click the Edit button the data is imported successfully and I am able to edit. This is fantastic and works like a charm.

The problem I am having is that once I close the spreadsheet and reopen it, the links to the database have been "forgotten". The data which was previously imported is still in the spreadsheet but if I want to edit the data again then I have to delete the worksheet and then start a new worksheet with the table that i want to edit.

I am more used to Access than Excel and I have successfully linked tables in Access and written queries, procedures and even forms attached to these tables. This particular application needs excel functionality so the idea is to link all the tables in the mysql database to individual worksheets in excel. In theory, once this has been done I will be able to use vba procedures to modify the data etc.

I have checked my trusted location settings and there is nothing disabling connections that I can see.

I have tried creating an odbc connection and using the excel data table without the mysql excel add-in and although this does remember the connection it seems to be read only since I can get the data but not write back. Ideally I would like to use the add on since this seems to be a more efficient way of doing things.

I would appreaciate AND ideas.

Regards
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Maintaining the link between tables and excel
March 12, 2014 04:20PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.