MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL for Excel

Excel hangs indefinitely with no error message when attempting connection to remote DB instance
Posted by: Brent Johnson
Date: March 13, 2017 02:05PM

I found a similar issue reported under the topic 'Failed connection to Mysql for Excel' posted by Patryk Golabek on Jan. 09 2015.

It is unclear from this post what steps the user took to resolve this issue.

Here are my environment details:

.NET Framework: 4.5.2
Excel: 2016
Visual Studio: 2015

I used the MySql Installer to perform a standard 'Developer' install of MySql for Excel and all associated dependencies.

This process also installed MySql Workbench, which I've used to connect successfully to our Cloud Database via TCP/IP.

I've also successfully connected to the local MySql Server host on port 3306 and 3303 from the MySql for Excel client.

When I try to connect to the IP where our database is hosted from MySql for Excel however, the program will hang, and display a blue rotating circle. I've left the program in this state for upwards of 10 minutes with no warning generated. I have to quit Excel in order to try again.

Here are some of the things I've tried:

Installing on another windows machine
Re-installing the entire MySql suite
Restarting the computer
Creating a connection in MySql workbench and opening from MySql for Excel
Creating the connection in MySql for excel
Removing the windows firewall for Excel, Visual Studio, MySql Server
Configure MySql server to listen on a non standard port: 3303

None of these things changed the response from excel. The program hangs until a restart is initiated.

Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Excel hangs indefinitely with no error message when attempting connection to remote DB instance
March 13, 2017 02:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.