MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL for Visual Studio

Re: Visual Studio 2013, EF6.1.1 not working with edmx
Posted by: Kevin Cuzner
Date: November 21, 2014 12:17PM

I have reproduced the problem and found a solution:

This is a consequence of the newer Mysql.Data nuget packages automatically adding the entity framework provider and dbproviderfactories entries to the app.config file. It adds a super-specific assembly reference, including the version.

If you install the most recent Mysql.Data in your application via Nuget (6.9.5 as of the time of writing), but do not have that exact version installed (the binding redirect only redirects up to 6.8.4...), the edmx creation dialog will fail since it can't load connector/net 6.9.5 into visual studio to load the tables to show in the next step of the dialog.

In my case, I had connector/net 6.9.4 installed on my machine (which I literally installed a week or two ago), but my Nuget package was 6.9.5. In this situation, the dialog for creating a new edmx file would close without explanation. I then installed connector/net 6.9.5 to my machine and restarted visual studio (don't know if the restart was necessary). The edmx dialog was then able to complete creation of the edmx.

TL;DR: Install the most recent version of connector/net to your machine (6.9.5 at the time of writing). It apparently needs to match the version specified in the app.config (at least for connector/net 6.9.4 and nuget package 6.9.5).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Visual Studio 2013, EF6.1.1 not working with edmx
November 21, 2014 12:17PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.