MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL for Visual Studio

Visual Studio integration without Connector/Net
Posted by: Jan Willem Zondag
Date: October 13, 2014 05:17AM

Is it possible to avoid installing Connector/Net into the GAC while still allowing Visual Studio integration?
I don't want any of my projects to be able to even load the MySQL connector unless I have specifically installed the NuGet package on that project. I do, however, want visual studio to be able to edit the edmx files.

Notably I would also like the NuGet package witch is installed to take care of the connection string properties according to the selected version of the connector.

(This issue was partly answered by Roberto but does not account for a different version of EF)

Hi Kevin,

Yes, there is a way. You need to do the following:

1. Install MySql for Visual Studio 1.1.3

2. Add the MySql data provider to devenv.exe.config located in the IDE directory of your Visual Studio Installation path, for example 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config'
- Find the xml path 'system.data/DbProviderFactories' inside the config file and add the following:

<add name="MySQL Data Provider" invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, MySql.Data, Version=6.7.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />

3. Save changes (Administrator permissions will be required)

Now you'll be able to open/create an Entity Framework 5.0 model using Visual Studio and MySql.

Regards,
Roberto

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Visual Studio integration without Connector/Net
October 13, 2014 05:17AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.