MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Character set problem? Question marks....
Posted by: Rob Brandt
Date: April 26, 2005 11:41PM

I have a problem with moving a mysql database from one server to another. The old server uses v.3.23.58-nt and the new one runs v.4.1.8 on Windows 2003 Server. Both are intended to handle plain 'ol English.

On running SQL queries to create the tables on the new server, many non-alphanumeric characters get changed to question marks. These are "normal" characters such as dashes, quotes, etc. I am using standard distributions of MySQL - I didn't compile - and I've tried inserting the data both with phpMyAdmin and with MySQL Query Browser without success. I have not set any default character sets or collations, although I've experimented with some to no improvement then reverted back. MySQL was restarted after each change.

Ideas?

Here's some queries if you want to see what I'm doing:

CREATE TABLE `tblabstracts` (
`AbstractID` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
`AbstractTitle` varchar(250) default NULL,
`Abstract` text,
`DateCreated` int(11) default NULL,
`CreatorID` int(11) default NULL,
`SectionID` int(11) default NULL,
`Conflicts` text,
`SpecialAV` text,
`WillingSecChair` tinyint(4) default '1',
`WillingJudge` tinyint(4) default '1',
`ConsiderAward` tinyint(4) default '0',
`AbstractType` varchar(32) default NULL,
`FirstAuthorID` int(11) default NULL,
`AbstractNo` int(11) default NULL,
`AbstractDate` date NOT NULL default '0000-00-00',
`AbstractTime` time NOT NULL default '00:00:00',
`RoomNum` varchar(25) NOT NULL default '',
`SessionNum` varchar(11) NOT NULL default '',
`StandardAV` tinyint(4) default NULL,
`SlideNeeded` tinyint(4) default NULL,
`OverheadNeeded` tinyint(4) default NULL,
`LinkSymposium` tinyint(4) default NULL,
`SymposiumLinked` int(5) default NULL,
`SessionOrder` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
`TypeNode` varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
PRIMARY KEY (`AbstractID`),
KEY `AbstractDate` (`AbstractDate`),
KEY `AbstractTime` (`AbstractTime`),
KEY `RoomNum` (`RoomNum`),
KEY `SessionNum` (`SessionNum`),
KEY `CreatorID` (`CreatorID`),
KEY `SectionID` (`SectionID`),
KEY `FirstAuthorID` (`FirstAuthorID`),
FULLTEXT KEY `Abstract` (`Abstract`),
KEY `TypeNode` (`TypeNode`)
) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=503 ;

and

INSERT INTO `tblabstracts` VALUES (17, 'If Creationism is <em>religion</em> – can we bash it in the classroom?', 'Six significant Court decisions serve as the basis of this presentation. The teaching of Creationism in the classroom is an issue bearing on the separation of Church and State. The intent of these decisions was to prevent the use of public school classrooms as a forum to promote religion (Creationism). In practice, many classrooms are being used as a forum to bash Creationism. This raises critical questions of legality for school systems and puts individual teachers, departments and schools at risk. On the basis of such legal precedents the author suggests that Creation-bashing is as unlawful in the public school classroom as would be the defamation of Islamic or Judaic beliefs.', 2005, 699, 13, 'The use of OCR answer sheets to communicate caring in the classroom.<p>\r\nSyncroscopy ™ : Biological illustration from hand to hi tech.', 'none', 1, 1, 0, 'paper', 4849, NULL, '0000-00-00', '00:00:00', '', '', 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 'paper');

The dash character in "</em> – can" in the second column and the trademark character near the end both get converted to question marks in the new database.

TIA

Rob

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Character set problem? Question marks....
April 26, 2005 11:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.