MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: Not null field with default value
Posted by: Tom Byars
Date: February 08, 2009 04:52PM

Jay, thanks for your time but I'm not clear what your point is. If I allow the field to have a null value then null is a legal value so under what circumstances is the default value assigned to the field? It seems from what you've done above that the default value is only written to fields where DEFAULT is explicitly stated. Why not just write the actual default value rather than DEFAULT.

It reminds me of that bit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail when they find a skeleton in a cave and scrolled on the wall next to it is a message "The holy Grail can be found at the castle of aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh". Someone says he must have died while he was writing it. Someone else says "well why didn't he just write the name of the castle instead of aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh". Someone else suggests he might have been dictating.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
February 08, 2009 02:34PM
Re: Not null field with default value
February 08, 2009 04:52PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.