MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: Multiple complex queries
Posted by: Malcolm Rook
Date: December 07, 2009 04:16AM

Thanks Rick

I was also coming to a similar conclusion and have tested it out. I wrote a stored procedure to produce a "summary" table for the period passing in the Start date/time and the period in seconds. I then queried the summary table for all entries.

Result: Instead of a 2 minute sequence of 360 queries I had the result set back in about 2 seconds.

FYI I always store any datetime fields as UTC without exception. I suffered in the past working on a system (not mine) which collected data as local time in 3 time zones across USA, processed the data at servers in South Africa with additional local time datestamps added, then reported in UK and USA. It was a total disaster until UTC was enforced with local time adjustment on reporting. Since then I refuse to have anything to do with non UTC datetime fields. Handling reporting over the shift to and from daylight saving, or summer time as we brits call it can be awkward but that problem is there whichever time base you start with.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
December 03, 2009 05:14AM
December 03, 2009 09:02AM
December 04, 2009 10:50PM
Re: Multiple complex queries
December 07, 2009 04:16AM
December 07, 2009 10:37AM
December 07, 2009 12:27PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.