MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Re: Optimizing date query on large table.
Posted by: Rick James
Date: August 11, 2010 08:38PM

Your datasize is much bigger than RAM, correct? Even your index size is bigger than can be cached, correct?

With 500M records, extra columns, extra table, extra indexes -- all of these will probably make things worse, not better.

I recommend having a field with the datatype DATE and index it; no other indexes relating to the field. Then...

* This will be quite efficient:
SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE mDate BETWEEN '1795-03-01' AND '1795-03-31'

* Similarly, but my preference:
SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE mDate >= '1795-03-01'
AND mDate < DATE_ADD('1795-03-01', INTERVAL 1 MONTH)
(That way, I don't have to figure out when a month ends.)

* This will do a table scan:
SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE MONTH(mDate) = 3;
But -- if you had a separate month column it might either do a table scan or spend an awful amount of time bouncing between the index and the table.

* I am avoiding Chad's extra table because that is even worse for bouncing back and forth. Note, with 500M rows, you are probably I/O bound, and some of this bouncing would be random disk hits.

* Having just the one index (one for date anyway) means that there are not lots of indexes competing for cache space (key_buffer or innodb_buffer_pool).

Depending on what other columns you have, you may need
INDEX(some_other_field, mDate)
You are unlikely to have any use for
INDEX(mDate, some_other_field)
unless you are doing "WHERE mDATE = '...' AND some_other_field BETWEEN...".

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Optimizing date query on large table.
August 11, 2010 08:38PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.