MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Drop schema taking a very long time
Posted by: Brant Boehmann
Date: September 10, 2010 05:33AM

I have inherited a machine running MySQL 5 as a service on Windows Server 2003 R2.
I have a database with 8 InnoDB tables. Using MySQL Administrator I can see the Data Length is 336.1 GB and the index length is 13.2 GB the vast majority of this is one table. My task was to clear the data in the database. I first started with some simple delete statements, but those were taking a long time, so I cancelled them and decided it would be faster to simply drop the schema and recreate it from a script I have.

So from MySQL Administrator, I clicked the "Catalogs" option, then went down to the "Schemata" section. Right clicked on my schema and selected "Drop Schema". The hard disk activity light on my machine is lit constantly and this has been over 18 hours. I opened ProcessExplorer and see that the I/O Read Bytes is over 36,000,000,000 and climbing and the I/O write bytes is over 80,000,000,000 and climbing. MySQL Admin claims it is "Not Responding" but there is a swarm of disk activity that seems unrelenting.

Should I just leave it alone over the weekend and let it finish or is there a good way to cancel and more quickly remove the data?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Drop schema taking a very long time
September 10, 2010 05:33AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.