MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

load_file() will only read /etc/hosts
Posted by: Griff McClellan
Date: January 21, 2011 09:48PM

Every file I have tried to read with load_file() has failed except for one, /etc/hosts. However, I can't read any other files, for example, I can't read /etc/fstab. Note that /etc/hosts and /etc/fstab have the same owner, group and permissions.

griff@griff-ubuntu:~$ ls -l /etc/fstab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 756 2010-09-09 21:30 /etc/fstab

griff@griff-ubuntu:~$ ls -l /etc/hosts
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 258 2010-09-09 21:34 /etc/hosts

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and MySQL 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.8.

Here is my demonstration that I can use load_file to read /etc/hosts but not /etc/fstab. Notice I run mysql as root so there should be no privilege or grant problems. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

griff@griff-ubuntu:~$ mysql --user=root --password=XYZ craig
Reading table information for completion of table and column names
You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 56
Server version: 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.8 (Ubuntu)

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> select load_file('/etc/fstab');
+-------------------------+
| load_file('/etc/fstab') |
| NULL                    |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select load_file('/etc/hosts');
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| load_file('/etc/hosts')                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 127.0.0.1	localhost
127.0.1.1	griff-ubuntu

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)
[\code]

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
load_file() will only read /etc/hosts
January 21, 2011 09:48PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.