MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

skip-name-resolve and access issues
Posted by: stepher r
Date: March 12, 2011 07:01PM

This seems somewhat similar to the "Can't get hostname for your address" from 3/11/3011 but slightly different.

I have 2 connections set up for the MySQL server on WinXP and am using MySQL Workbench 5.2.33 CE. One connection is root @localhost, the other is <user>@192.168..%

When 'skip-name-resolve' is active, trying to access the db using the root connection or trying to manage the 1 server instance (uses root) brings up a "Host 127.0.0.1 is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server".

The <user>@192.168.... (user on the same machine as the MySQL server) connects fine and can access the db. Also, since this user is set up with a '%' wildcard, I can access the db from a Fedora 14 box on the same local network.

If I disable 'skip-name-resolve', the results change a bit. Both the local connections can access the db and the server instance is also accessible. However, I can no longer get access to MySQL from the Fedora box. I get a "connection attempt" failure and "Can't get hostname for your address" message. I suspect I should expect this given the function of the 'skip-name-resolve' function.

My sense is there something subtle going on here and that it might be something minor that I'm missing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers....Steph

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
skip-name-resolve and access issues
March 12, 2011 07:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.