MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Best way to replicate a table in real time
Posted by: Claire Hector
Date: November 03, 2004 10:54AM

Hello!
I am after some much needed expert advice regarding the best way to replicate one table of a remote database to be accessed from another location.

I am working on a system for a UK office that requires data from a US office, however the US office is reluctant (as can be understood) to allow the UK office open slather on their database and want to come up with a solution to have an up-to-date copy of one table of their database that can be used by the UK office. The copy may be stored either in the US or the UK.

I have looked at MySQL replication, however i don't like the idea of replicating the whole US db if only one table needs to be accessed by the UK. In addition, since it has been quite painstaking to get agreeance on letting the UK have any access to the data at all, it would be advantageous to avoid requiring the US to run dumps of the particular table, in addition dumps would not be as up-to-date as the UK would like.

The data is regarding on-line customer registrations. Customers, regardless of location will register on-line and this data is stored in the US db, however the UK require access to data relating to registrations of customers in the UK and Europe. The US db is quite large and holds numerous tables of which the UK have no interest in.

The only other thought i had was to adjust the coding of the internet site so that when a customer registers, the data is copied to the current US db and also to a seperate db in the UK (therefore avoiding replication of unwanted data but achieveing the required copied data) The US db is in MySQL and the UK also run MySQL.

I would really appreciate help on this and any suggestions or comments that people can offer !!
Cheers,
Claire

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Best way to replicate a table in real time
November 03, 2004 10:54AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.