MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

How to manage/structure tables/relationship for financial transactions with split categories?
Posted by: Don Ferris
Date: July 03, 2021 09:20AM

I’m somewhat of a database novice. I understand the basics (well enough to have built simple but functional relational databases in the past) but I’m having trouble figuring out the tables/relationship structure for a specific use case...

I’m working on a budget database to track my spending, income, bills paid/not yet, account balances and available $. I’m confused, though, about how to handle transactions that have split categories. Transactions with a single category (e.g. groceries) get written to the Transactions table but how do I structure my tables/relationships to handle split categories? (i.e. I go to Target and buy $X of clothes and $Y of household items.)

I apologize for what’s probably a redundant question but I couldn’t figure out how to search for the answer to this question.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.