MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Re: Large number of columns causing - Unknown Error
Posted by: Rick James
Date: March 01, 2010 10:49AM

I recommend a compromise.

(I assume most of the columns are usually null?)

1. Decide which columns you need to search on. Decide on no more than, say, 5 indexes into the table, using those columns.

2. Build a table with an ID (probably AUTO_INCREMENT), plus the searchable columns.

3. Build a second table with two columns: an ID and a blob. The ID is the same as the one in the other table (except not AUTO_INCREMENT) and used for JOINing. The blob (TEXT / BLOB / MEDIUMTEXT / ...) is a marshalled up set of key-values of the rest of the 'hilarious number of columns'. Simply leave out any that are missing.

Advantages:
* Civilized tables (sane number of columns and rows)
* Efficiently searchable (probably faster than your many-column version, MUCH faster than the key-value approach)
* Still open-ended... Adding a column requires no ALTER TABLE.
* Less disk space.

Disadvantages:
* Your code must do the marshaling. XML would do. I prefer JSON (easily usable in Perl, PHP, etc). Other options exist. I even prefer to compress it before storing (CPU is cheaper than I/O).
* One JOIN needed (unless the query can live with the main table's set of columns).
* Some complex searches (one that needs some data from the blob) cannot be performed entirely in SQL. (Do what you can in SQL, then finish the filtering in your App.)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Large number of columns causing - Unknown Error
March 01, 2010 10:49AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.