MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Re: Problem with multiple queries using a composite index
Posted by: Rick James
Date: April 05, 2011 09:48PM

> It changes 1 row of the table and needs for that purpose about 1 minute 12sec.
I really suspect it is the search through the 2GB query_cache for all entries for that table. They have to be 'deleted' from the cache. Change it to 50M.

> It takes exactly 3 minutes for the first time, but less than one second for the second, identical execution.
Again -- it could be that the cache was 'full' the first time, so there was lots to 'delete'. The second time, it was effectively empty.

I don't know the details of the QC implementation, but I could imagine scenarios where your timings make sense.

> WHERE clause is of the form (,,,,) = (,,,,)
That could be coincidence, or it could be the poor optimization of that syntax.

> SELECT case (all significantly below one second)
SELECT does not have to purge the QC. Also, if the identical query is run twice (without a purge between), it will get the resultset from the QC -- extremely rapidly.

> rows are not necessarily accessed row by row since it's a parallel application...
The UPDATE (with a 'perfect' index) would, at worst, have to hit the disk only a few times. So the UPDATE, without other things going on, and without having to purge the QC, will 'always' run in less than a second.

Bottom line:
Much smaller QC; larger buffer_pool.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Problem with multiple queries using a composite index
April 05, 2011 09:48PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.