MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Slow performance on updates - weird
Posted by: Daniel Constantinov
Date: April 04, 2011 02:51PM

Hello fellows,

maybe this is silly (or weird) question but I have experiencing very slow updates on a very simple situation. Let me explain:

Simplifying, my table (prod) have about 400K records with two fields involved (id_prc and id_ccentr).

If I do one simple update like this: "Update prod set id_prc=1;", it takes about 11 seconds for the whole table.

But when I do many updates based on id_ccentr the initial ones goes very fast, but after a while the updates slows down for very seconds, and after, goes faster one more time, and slow again...
Example:
Update prod set id_prc=1 where id_ccentr=10;
Update prod set id_prc=2 where id_ccentr=30;
Update prod set id_prc=3 where id_ccentr=56;
etc, etc, until all rows are changed based on id_ccentr ... To the finish this process takes about 190 seconds (against 11 on the first case).

Well, I try to put LOCKS around the updates but no gain, and I have tested to drop the index that exists on id_prc and then the updates goes more faster, but, the task of drop and create index consumes many seconds and that are no gain involved.

I have a MyISAM table on MySQL 5.077 running on Linux (Centos 5.3) box with 4Gb of RAM running mainly MySQL. I repeat this test many many times with similar results.

If anyone could help me please let me know what more parameters do you need.

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Slow performance on updates - weird
April 04, 2011 02:51PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.