MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Avoiding table-locking in big tables
Posted by: EIke Budde
Date: April 19, 2011 10:40AM

Hi everybody,

I've been doing research on this topic, found some equal questions but no satisfying answer, so maybe there is none.

I'm having a huuuuuge table with lots of queries (3000-5000/min, insert and select) and about 3-4 million rows. The application is optimized now so that the db- and apache-load and processes are performing pretty good.
My problem is, as soon as I'm doing a bigger query on the table, the table gets locked and even a log lasting one minute results in service disruption.
I know acid-rules and why table locking is used, but in this case, 100% correct data is less important than speed and nonlocking.
So the question is, can I solve this?
These scenarios are in my mind:
select without locking -> did not seem to work, "SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED" did not change anything.
insert without locking -> INSERT DELAYED, can that help? The SELECTS will still block each other, I think.
Switching to INNODB -> not sure if INNODB can handle the load & size of the DB.
Last chance, setting up a replication and doing reports on the replicated DB. This is a step that I would like to avoid because its a lot of work and double disk space.

Thanks for any help!
Eike

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Avoiding table-locking in big tables
April 19, 2011 10:40AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.