MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Myisam as the correct choice?
Posted by: Matthew Palmer
Date: April 29, 2011 07:50PM

Hello all, I'm not really a database expert, but I've done some reading on the differences between Myisam and Innodb. I have a database that is currently set up as a multifunctional database (so it only uses 50% of the resources for Myisam). As such, if I understand this right and shut down the innodb functionality by going to a nontransactional db, I can then use 100% for Myisam. Here is the situation:

- Nearly all of my tables are log files with no primary key (although I could use add an autoincrementing field if I had to... it would almost never be used in my queries though).
- I require no foreign key constraints
- The table sizes range from hundreds of thousands of rows to hundreds of millions of rows (and grow a little larger every day as the new data gets added).
- The tables are currently only updated once per day (although this could increase to as often as once an hour, but probably never faster than that).
- Most of what I do is select queries with where statements to pull specific pieces of data from the tables. I do occasionally have to use joins on the queries.

That should sum it up. From what I've read, it seems like this is a prime candidate for just sticking with MyIsam, but since I'm not a db expert, I was hoping to get a more expert opinion on whether I'm on the right track.

Thanks,
Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 07:50PM by Matthew Palmer.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Myisam as the correct choice?
April 29, 2011 07:50PM
April 30, 2011 10:34PM
May 17, 2011 11:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.