MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Re: 5.1 to 5.5 upgrade causes significant write slowdown (MyISAM + indexes)
Posted by: Rick James
Date: January 26, 2013 01:35PM

Sorry, I can't advise on specific hardware.

RAID striping (0,5,6,10) is beneficial for heavy writes (single or multiple threads) and for multiple threads doing heavy reading. The number of I/Os per second is doubled or tripled (etc), depending on the config.

RAID with BBWC (Battery Backed Write Cache) makes writes "instantaneous", while being safe from power failures. A brief burst of writes takes no time; a lot of writes would eventually overwhelm the cache at which point writes would slow to disk speed. (Striping helps.)

RAID with mirroring or parity (1,5,6,10) protects you from a single (sometimes multiple) disk failures. The server might even be designed to let you replace a dead drive out without shutting down the system.

So, for serious, big, usage: Hardware RAID with BBWC -5 or -10. RAID-5 gives you more disk space; RAID-10 (or -6?) gives you more protection from drive failures.

If you want to cut corners ($$$), I have given you some of the tradeoffs. The Wikipedia page is excellent for more details.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: 5.1 to 5.5 upgrade causes significant write slowdown (MyISAM + indexes)
January 26, 2013 01:35PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.