MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Record locking
Posted by: Scott Krise
Date: January 30, 2019 10:09AM

I am a programmer, and I have taken over the support of a system written in MYSQL. There is a mixture of MYISAM and INNODB tables within the database, and the programs are written in C++.

It appears as though there is no record locking taking place anywhere in the system, and I'd like some advice on the best course of action to start putting the appropriate locks in place.

So, the majority of our tables are MYISAM, and I don't believe record locking is an option, only table locks can be done? Well, unless Im misunderstanding how the table locking works, that isnt an option since we have 25-50 active users.

So my two questions are:

1) What considerations should be given to simply changing over our myisam tables to innodb? Can I simply edit the table and make the change that way, or should I drop the old table and recreate it with the new structure?

2) Once that is done, if for example a person is about to change a customer, would I just do a SELECT...FOR UPDATE on the customer Im interested in, do the update, then in some way, do an unlock (cant seem to find the syntax for that at the moment).

Thanks in advance!!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Record locking
January 30, 2019 10:09AM
January 30, 2019 11:13AM
January 30, 2019 12:18PM
January 30, 2019 02:44PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.