MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Re: incorrect results with WHERE clause on table with accented characters
Posted by: mb33140
Date: January 18, 2005 04:34AM

Hello Heiki,

I'm using the latest MySql from Debian-- 4.0.23_Debian-1-log. What's confusing me is that when I read the mysql docs, everything about collation and character sets says it's for 4.1 and later. And it says in chapter 10 "Character set support currently included ... (as of MySQL 4.1.2) InnoDB storage engines", implying that the MySQL in Debian has *no* character set support for InnoDB. But if that's the case, how is U umlaut being translated as Y? Does that mean that before 4.1.2 InnoDB was 'hardcoded' to Swedish collation and cannot be changed?

We're releasing a media database engine and I was hoping to just make it use the regular latin set and treat any accented characters as unaccented characters, since that type of searching seems to be universally accepted. I know the french are accustomed to e accent agu/grave being sorted like e, and our Romanian programmers also say they are used to software treating accented characters like the unaccented ones. And our customer in Switzerland also says he would expect all the accented characters (like U umlaut) to be treated that way too. Is there a way to just use this as the default behavior? Otherwise it will be very difficult. The media database will include some artists from Sweden, some from the U.S., some from Germany, etc. To try to set record-level character sets would be a nightmare. And very confusing if a Swedish group that started with U umlaut appeared under Y while a German group with U umlaut appeared under U. And I don't even see mention of record-level character set, so we'll need one that's universal across all languages using the latin alphabet. Thank you for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: incorrect results with WHERE clause on table with accented characters
January 18, 2005 04:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.