MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

help merge information
Posted by: Chris Elliott
Date: November 17, 2008 12:24AM

I am still pretty new to MySQL, so bare with me please...

I have two tables: one manages user logins for my site and another holds user information such as address, phone number, etc. The login table, called "dbusers" contains unique user id's. The contact information table, called "info" NEEDS these id's, but currently all the values are set to 0 for the id field. Unfortunately, the names (called "realname") in "dbusers" are in a different format than in "info" (called "name") but I think that the "like" operation should match them up without a problem (there are only about 50 entries). Here's what I have in mind, though the syntax doesn't exactly work:

UPDATE info SET id = (SELECT id FROM dbusers WHERE realname LIKE (SELECT name FROM info));

The idea is that every realname from dbusers should be checked against every name in users and, if they are alike, then the id in info should be set to its corresponding entry in dbusers. MySQL doesn't quite like my syntax, here's the error:

mysql> UPDATE info SET id = (SELECT id FROM dbusers WHERE realname LIKE (SELECT name FROM dbusers));
ERROR 1242 (21000): Subquery returns more than 1 row

I tried adding a "LIMIT 1" to the end seeing as how every match should be unique since there are no duplicate entries and then got a warning:

mysql> UPDATE info SET id = (SELECT id FROM dbusers WHERE realname LIKE (SELECT name FROM dbusers LIMIT 1));
Query OK, 0 rows affected, 15 warnings (0.03 sec)
Rows matched: 15 Changed: 0 Warnings: 15
mysql> show warnings;
+-------+------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Level | Code | Message |
+-------+------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Error | 1064 | You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '()' at line 1 |

I bet I am missing some really easy way to do this, but I can't seem to find a better solution any where - or even one that makes this way work for that matter. Thanks for looking, I appreciate the help in advance!

-Chris Elliott
elliott3@southwestern.edu
(210)854-8393

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2008 10:45PM by Chris Elliott.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
help merge information
November 17, 2008 12:24AM
November 18, 2008 10:16AM
November 19, 2008 01:39PM
November 19, 2008 02:37PM
November 20, 2008 06:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.