MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

InnoDB Transactions
Posted by: Ben Graves
Date: February 05, 2009 06:41AM

I'm just starting to look into SQL transactions and would appreciate some advice on my approach.

My transaction will start like this:

begin;
SELECT `posts`.* FROM `posts` WHERE (thread_id = '1004983') FOR UPDATE;
<-- the rest of my transaction goes here -->
commit;

From what I undestand the transaction above will lock all the rows with a tread_id of 1004983. I should then be able to update values within these rows without having to worry about other connections modifying the values before I have a chance to amend them.

Can I run additional SELECT statements within this transaction which query the locked rows and if I can do I have to use FOR UPDATE again?

My transaction will need to be able to insert a new record and then amend any records with the same tread_id to rebuild a tree structure.

The tree structure is using the Modified Preorder Tree Traversal technique descibed in the following article with tree_left and tree_right values.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/hierarchical-data-database/

I have a function that uses a post_id and parent_post_id column to rebuild the tree_left and tree_right columns when a new post is added.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
InnoDB Transactions
February 05, 2009 06:41AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.