MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Re: Slow inserts/restore from backup
Posted by: Michal Koscielny
Date: January 02, 2019 07:31AM

I experience the same problem on Windows 10. I have a fairly small database dump from mysql 5.7 of size 538 MB, created with mysqldump, most of the tables are InnoDB and the dump uses bulk inserts (default). Restoring the dump to 5.7 takes 5 minutes 35 seconds, while restoring to 8.0.13 takes 23 minutes 4 seconds. This is a huge difference.

I'm using a sata SSD drive and I've noticed very high CPU usage during mysql 8 restore - mysqld.exe process consumes 80-90% of CPU all the time whereas disk writes are quite slow at around 10MB/s. So the restore process speed is definitely CPU bound.

When restoring to mysql 5.7 the CPU utilization is much less - around 25% and disk writes are much faster.

I've also tried disabling binary logging but it made not much difference.

Does anyone know what causes high CPU during dump restore? I can't find any settings to resolve the issue. I suppose inserts are simply much slower in mysql 8.0.x.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
October 02, 2018 02:55AM
Re: Slow inserts/restore from backup
January 02, 2019 07:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.