MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  GIS

Looking for help with spatial query SQL
Posted by: Jennifer Shanks
Date: October 18, 2005 12:24PM

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions on how to write a spatial query SQL statement.

Let's say that I have two layers, trail segments and campgrounds (points). I would like to find all campgrounds within 3 miles of the trail system. In reading through the documentation, it looks like a lot of the spatial query functions are yet to be implemented and that the ones that are implemented use MBRs only. Does anyone have any creative work-arounds for this query?

The only thing I can think of would be to create a three mile buffer of each trail segment using my GIS package, import that into the database and write a script that loops through the MBRs for each trail segment buffer and checks to see if there is a campground within the MBR. This would not be very accurate (would include extra campgrounds), but is the best idea I have so far.

If you have any suggestions or sample SQL statements, I would be very appreciative of the help.

Thanks,
Jennifer Shanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Looking for help with spatial query SQL
October 18, 2005 12:24PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.