MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  GIS

Very long polygon in WKB kills MySQL
Posted by: Hugo Ferreira
Date: January 25, 2006 11:54AM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to migrate a proprietary GIS system to MySQL and other FOSS, hoping to make it scale better, both in terms of data size, data replication and data access. My main problem as I write this, is that I've got some very long polygons (like the detailed countour of a country)... I've made an application to translate the .SHP files to WKB, but when I try to insert into MySQL, it gives me the following error: "MySQL Server is gone away".

So, my question is:

a) Is this a problem related to the size of an INSERT statement? If it is, how can I circunvent it? Will I have the very same problem when asking MySQL for the WKB representation of a column in a SELECT?

b) Is this a GIS limitation? If it is, how can I circunvent it? Would it be possible to JOIN polygons, so I could make questions (like if a point is contained or not) related to this JOINED polygon?

Thanks very much in advance... Any help/tip would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Hugo Jose Ferreira

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Very long polygon in WKB kills MySQL
January 25, 2006 11:54AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.