MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

MAX performance degrades
Posted by: Paul Smith
Date: March 11, 2005 05:01AM

The length of time my MAX query takes to execute gets longer with the amount of data I have in my table. That may seem like a very obvious statement (well it is), but I cannot have my application's performance degrading over time. I need constant performance.

I have a table T1 with columns C1, C2, C3, and C4. C1 is the primary key. I have a multi-part index on C2 and C3. C4 has low cardinality (if that is teh correct terminology for it not having many distinct values).

My query is:
SELECT MAX(C2) FROM T1 WHERE C3='<value>' AND C4='<value>' AND C2<='<value>'

If I double the number of rows in the table then the time to execute the query pretty much doubles too. Is there anything I can do to get constant performance? I know that by doubling the number of rows in the table I am doubling the number of rows that have to be processed by MAX, so I don't suppose indexes are really going to help. I am using version 4.0.20 of MySQL (which, although probably not relevant, I am told can only use one index per query).

Thanks,
Paul

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MAX performance degrades
March 11, 2005 05:01AM
March 11, 2005 02:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.