MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

MySQL performance high harddisk usage
Posted by: roberto
Date: March 15, 2005 05:35PM

Hi to everybody,

First of all thanks to everybody to waste their time reading my post.
I have a big problem with MySQL performance, I have an online shop running with PHP and MySQL under a Red Hat Linux 9 SO. The server is a Dual Xeon 2.4 with 3 Gb of RAM and SCSI 160 harddisks with a RAID 5.

The online shop has a big table with all the products (about 11000 references, with the descriptions and images storaged in BLOB fields). After yesterday all was working fine, but from yesterday to today all have are problems, when I start the service with MySQL all the harddisks start to move data, it move such data that I can't access to the server via SSH because it don't give to me a terminal. The harddisk are always with the green light ON, and all the system performance go out.

I tried to remove all MySQL temp files and I reinstall the database server (after 4 hour of tests), and when I start the Mysql server it the harddisk start working many.

The online shop, move about 700 Mb of data every day, it's running on an Apache 1.3.33 and PHP 4.10 on the same server of the database, the MySQL Server is 4.1.10, the my.conf configuration is:

max_connections = 500
key_buffer = 64M
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M
join_buffer_size = 1M
read_buffer_size = 1M
sort_buffer_size = 2M
table_cache = 1024
thread_cache_size = 128
wait_timeout = 10800
connect_timeout = 10
tmp_table_size = 128M
read_rnd_buffer_size = 524288
bulk_insert_buffer_size = 8M
max_allowed_packet = 16M
max_connect_errors = 10
query_cache_limit = 2M
query_cache_size = 128M
query_cache_type = 1

# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
thread_concurrency = 4

I'm getting lucky searching for the fail, maybe the images can't be on the MySQL and must be in file system, but I can't understand what happend from yesterday to today. (In last days the traffic has growed about a 500% because google results get very good last days).

What can I do, any idea?

Please help me, because I think that this server must have the power to move that database and web page at the same time.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MySQL performance high harddisk usage
March 15, 2005 05:35PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.