MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Performance issues - 99% CPU
Posted by: Archie Roboostoff
Date: January 17, 2005 08:06PM

So here's the situation. I have a tomcat/java web app that is currently serving about 3,000 users a day. It's not a huge site but it's not the smallest. We were on a hosting platform and everything was going well. We then got migrated and now we are locking up the mysqld all the time. 99% cpu is constant on the server. We haven't changed any queries or anything to the site prior to the move so it has to be a config issue with the server (I think). So what happens is this...

we fire up mysqld....all looks good...
we then fire up tomcat and the java process hangs at 99% cpu for about 15 seconds and then stabilizes, then we fire up httpd.

At the first query mysqld jumps to around 45% and drops, then it starts to climb until it tops at 99%. The site will continue to run for a few hours at 99% but then it will lock up and my connections will start to dump. Here is my.cnf

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
old-passwords
port = 3306
skip-locking
set-variable = key_buffer=16M
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable = thread_stack=128K
set-variable = table_cache=64
set-variable = sort_buffer=512K
set-variable = net_buffer_length=8K
set-variable = max_connections=100
server-id = 1
log-long-format
log-slow-queries = /var/log/mysqld.slow.log

Any suggestions?

-a

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Performance issues - 99% CPU
January 17, 2005 08:06PM
January 18, 2005 12:33AM
January 18, 2005 09:51PM
January 18, 2005 11:50PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.