MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

mysql 4 -> mysql 5 newer hardware slower queries
Posted by: lance raymond
Date: January 28, 2009 01:31PM

Afternoon, the old sysadmin left so I am still learning mysql but we had a mysql 4 box on an older server with some hd problems. I staged a new CentOS5 box on a faster server (same RAM) controller, etc. and mysql 5.

I moved the website code to use this new server and now the site has become almost unusable. I am trying to see what's going on. I am goggling, but mytop doesn't seem to be available for mysql 5 and I just can't get mysql to start with the log slow query options.

It is installed via rpm, the my.cnf file looks like this now;
# Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
# clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
old_passwords=1

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[mysqld_safe]
log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
slow_query_log_file=/var/log/mysql_slow_query
log-slow-queries

I have tried numerous command line starts such as;
etc/init.d/mysqld start --log-slow-queries, etc. but none work, ps shows;

root 10259 0.0 0.0 4472 1088 ? S Jan27 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
mysql 10295 11.3 1.8 165716 37716 ? Sl Jan27 188:43 /usr/libexec/mysqld --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-locking --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

Any help by the new guy trying to learn myslq is greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
mysql 4 -> mysql 5 newer hardware slower queries
January 28, 2009 01:31PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.