MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Millions of rows, storing aggregate/rollup results help please
Posted by: Jacqueline Jacobin
Date: August 28, 2016 12:23PM

Hello,

I'm an MYSQL not-quite-newb but getting the hang of having big data. I have a table with a few million rows, with about 8 columns. I need to select count() across any combination of these columns, and I need to do it fast, for use with AJAX on a frontend.

Since running a basic SELECT is becoming expensive when I have been thinking of something like an aggregate table - which somebody posted about here - http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?32,590663,590663. But given that I have 8 columns, and each of these columns has at least 3 (in some cases 6) potential values, I'm looking at a LOT of possibilities (something like 400,000). Should I run some kind of aggregate code that loops iteratively through every single possible combination and store that total in the aggregate/rollup table, or is there a better way to do this? Any help, including code and/or pointers to other pages would be tremendously appreciated.

BTW I am using this with PHP but this seemed like the best specialized sub-forum to post this so apologies if it should be put elsewhere

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Millions of rows, storing aggregate/rollup results help please
August 28, 2016 12:23PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.