MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Big performance difference - can't find the difference (2 machines) ?
Posted by: Oliver Greil
Date: March 15, 2017 04:17AM

Hello,

I have a really strange problem and I wondered if anyone of you has an idea what could cause this.

I am using a simple WP Plugin which benchmarks query performance via the following script (an excerpt):

$tableprefix = $wpdb->prefix."mywebtonetqtest";
$createtable = $wpdb->query("CREATE TABLE if not exists `$tableprefix` (`dummydata` text NOT NULL DEFAULT '')");
$time_start = microtime(true);
echo "<table width=70%>\n";
echo "<tr><td valign='top'><b>MySQL test: </b></td></tr>\n";
for ($i = 0; $i < $runquerycount ; $i++) {
$dotest = $wpdb->query( "insert into $tableprefix (dummydata) values ('$mysqlquerydata');" );
$dotest = $wpdb->query( "select * from $tableprefix;" );
$dotest = $wpdb->query( "update $tableprefix set dummydata='';" );
$dotest = $wpdb->query( "delete from $tableprefix;" );
}
$result = sprintf("%10.2f",number_format(microtime(true) - $time_start, 3));
$cresult = sprintf("%0.0f",$runquerycount /$result);

So nothing special here... the interesintg thing is that on the old machine a Core i7 6700K (4 cores 4.0Ghz) with 64GB RAM and SSD made around 350 queries/seconds in this test.

Now I moved over to a Xeon 1650v3 (6 cores 3.5Ghz) with 128GB ECC RAM and NVMe disk and the query time is donw to 80/sec.

I mean thats almost 1/4 of the query performance of the old machine. Now I wonder what could cause this.

The interesting thing is I have the complete same setup and configuration.

Both using Windows Server 2016, all patches applied, latest MySQL 5.7.17, PHP 7.1.2, IIS 10 x64

I am even using a copy of the php.ini and a my.ini for SQL - so all the settings are exactly the same.

I just don't find the reason why its slower. What I can see on the new machine though is that the benchmark is using much lower CPU usage than on the old system. I thought about problems in TCP connection - but both are bound to localhost on IP4 and IP6 and there are no signs of slow delays in connecting etc. I mean i still get the 80/sec queries on new machine.

BUt how comes the old one got 300+/sec?

Maybe someone of you has an idea what or how I could check the reason for this.

Thanks a lot for your time,
Oliver

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Big performance difference - can't find the difference (2 machines) ?
March 15, 2017 04:17AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.