MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: LEFT JOIN vs INNER JOIN performance for the same amount of data returned
Posted by: Andrei Bica
Date: April 17, 2008 05:14AM

Thanks for the answer Clint.

Yes, thats right, I wanted to set to 0 the location_total's where there are no expense_out and also set the sync flag on true to indicate that the total is synchronized. I wanted to do it in only one query since the sync flag can be reset by a trigger activated when an expense_out is modified/added/removed for that location by another query and I wanted to keep the integrity (since the query is executed as a transaction, right?). But this integrity might be break anyway right after the query was executed so I can probably do it in a second query.

As for the EXLPAIN result (sorry for the bad table formating):
1. with INNER JOIN
id select_type table type possible_keys key key_len ref rows Extra
1 PRIMARY <derived2> ALL NULL NULL NULL NULL 16896
1 PRIMARY location_total eq_ref PRIMARY,idx_id_location,idx_id_period PRIMARY 8 totals.id_location,totals.id_period 1
2 DERIVED expense_out ALL idx_id_location,id_period NULL NULL NULL 45453 Using temporary
2 DERIVED location_total eq_ref PRIMARY,idx_id_location,idx_id_period PRIMARY 8 impensa.expense_out.id_location,impensa.expense_ou... 1 Using where

2. with LEFT JOIN
id select_type table type possible_keys key key_len ref rows Extra
1 PRIMARY location_total ALL NULL NULL NULL NULL 15570
1 PRIMARY <derived2> ALL NULL NULL NULL NULL 16896
2 DERIVED expense_out ALL idx_id_location,id_period NULL NULL NULL 32603 Using temporary
2 DERIVED location_total eq_ref PRIMARY,idx_id_location,idx_id_period PRIMARY 8 impensa.expense_out.id_location,impensa.expense_ou... 1 Using where

It seems that LEFT JOIN doesn't use keys as much as the INNER JOIN query so this might be an explanation, right?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: LEFT JOIN vs INNER JOIN performance for the same amount of data returned
April 17, 2008 05:14AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.