MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Problem LIMIT performance
Posted by: Elja Trum
Date: May 05, 2005 05:07AM

Hi,

I'm migrating my website from MS Access to mySql.
I've a page that request the top 50 records of a table that contains over 85.000 records.

I used to have a query like this:
SELECT TOP 50 field1, field2, field3 FROM tabel1, tabel2, tabel3 WHERE (tabel1.fieldx = tabel2.fieldy) AND (tabel1.fieldx = tabel3.fieldz) AND (fieldq = 1) ORDER BY field1 DESC

Which works like a charm.
In mySql I believe this is to be replaced by:

SELECT field1, field2, field3 FROM tabel1, tabel2, tabel3 WHERE (tabel1.fieldx = tabel2.fieldy) AND (tabel1.fieldx = tabel3.fieldz) AND (fieldq = 1) ORDER BY field1 DESC LIMIT 50

However, this cause the mySql to give a time-out when I execute it.

The statement needs data from three different tables, the main table contains the most records (about 85.000), 'table2' contains 4.000 records and 'table3' contains about 60.000 records.

I can image it gives performance issues, but why didn't this problem occur on Access?
(And I really need the upgrade to mySql for performance with this many records. :))

Can anyone help me?

ps: The exact statement used is:
SELECT reaId, reaEntryId, reaName, reaDatum, reaTijd, reaMemo, usrUserID FROM tblReactie, tblUsers, tblDagboekEntry WHERE (tblReactie.reaName = tblUsers.usrNickname) AND (reaEntryId = dagEntryId) AND (dagPublic = 1) ORDER BY reaId DESC LIMIT 50

Elja

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Problem LIMIT performance
May 05, 2005 05:07AM
May 12, 2005 09:00AM
May 15, 2005 10:41AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.