MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Slow SELECT on two tables
Posted by: Stefan Mueller
Date: March 02, 2009 05:02PM

Thanks for your response, Rick.

I would not be surprised if it took a few seconds. But 40s ??

Yes, it really is around 40s. I also expected the query to be run in a few seconds, but:

mysql> SELECT DISTINCT REPLACE(webfiles.filepath, product_files.filename, '') AS path FROM webfiles, product_files
    -> WHERE webfiles.filehash = product_files.filehash 
    -> AND webfiles.filepath LIKE CONCAT('%/', product_files.filename);
+---------------------------------------------------------+
| path                                                    |
| /var/www/domain1/htdocs/wordpress/                      | 
1 row in set (36,11 sec)

Perhaps innodb_buffer_pool_size is very low? It should be about 70% of _available_ RAM.

I don't know if my configuration is 100% correct. However, I've set innodb_buffer_pool_size to 1G, which I think is enough.
If it helps, for readability, you can find my full 'show variables' output on http://pastebin.com/m2496be94

I doubt if it would help, but please try changing

AND webfiles.filepath LIKE CONCAT('%/', product_files.filename);

to

AND SUBSTRING_INDEX(webfiles.filepath, '/', -1) = product_files.filename;

Thanks. I've been playing around with it a bit and it seems that it's faster on small queries and a little bit slower on large ones:

mysql> SELECT DISTINCT REPLACE(webfiles.filepath, product_files.filename, '') AS path FROM webfiles, product_files WHERE webfiles.filehash = product_files.filehash 
    -> AND SUBSTRING_INDEX(webfiles.filepath, '/', -1) = product_files.filename;
| path                                                    |
| /var/www/domain1/htdocs/wordpress/                      | 
1 row in set (37,65 sec)

If it is too small, you may be thrashing the disk. Do you have any metrics on CPU and disk usage during this query?

I don't habe any real metrics, but what I've noticed is that the CPU goes up to 100% during the query. I/O is not worth mentioning, just a few Kb's of R/W.

I'm currentyl at a loss and don't know what why this query is taking so damn long. Please let me know if you're missing any addional useful information, and I will provide as much info as needed.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks again for your time!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
March 01, 2009 04:26PM
March 01, 2009 09:23PM
Re: Slow SELECT on two tables
March 02, 2009 05:02PM
March 02, 2009 09:14PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.