MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Performance maintaining a live database
Posted by: Peter Munene
Date: May 19, 2009 08:01AM

Hi, I need some help on how to optimize a live database. I use MySQL 5.0 running on windows 2003 on HP Proliant DL360 G3 server with 2GB of RAM and two dual core Intel Xeon 3.06GHz processors. This server has about 10 databases, the largest of which has about 100 tables. The largest table has about 100,000 rows. This server also doubles up as an IIS web server for our intranet.

I am to perform the following operations on the database: drop unused databases, drop unused tables and finally, delete old data from the used tables.

My boss is of the opinion that I should create a replica of each database I am working on, point the intranet code to the new database, maintain the old database, point the intranet code to the maintained old database and finally import any new data from the new database into the old database.

I am on the opinion that I can perform all the aforementioned operations on the live database, without having to make a replica of the database. Am I correct or is there something I am missing?

Thanks for your help.
Peter.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Performance maintaining a live database
May 19, 2009 08:01AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.