MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

HELP! making choises on Performance - Storage engine - Caching
Posted by: saif bechan
Date: November 08, 2009 08:31AM

Hello,I am a web designer from the Netherlands. I am sort of new to building web apps from scratch, i have always used CMS, and customized them.

I am building a Auction website in php/mysql, which is finished. Recently i read a few articles about storage engines.

I have a few question that have been bothering me for a while now:

---------------------------------------------

What sort of storage engine is best suited for my website, do i use myIsam, innodb, etc.

The website i am building is an auction website, it has to deal with several read and writes EVERY SECOND!! It has to check whether auctions are open, closed, paused, current price, etc.

I know not all tables in my database, will be accessed, these are only 3. They are currently all myIsam. Is this good? should i change them all? Change none? I really don't know what to do.
Is i change them, will this impact my website drastically. And finnaly will these changes apply easily, or are they hard to do.

-----------------------------------------

Another question i have is about Caching systems.

I read a few about them too but i don't know if they apply to the sort of website i have. The data i get out of the database changes a lot. Is it handy for me to cache them?
For example an auction can be cached, because not all items change. But the auction wont be there forever, after a few hours its gone.

I can't see how a cache system could apply to that, or am i seeing this the wrong way. And again, if this system applies to me, will this change take a lot of effort, and will this effort make a huge amount of change.

-------------------------------------------------

These are all the questions i have, they are really general i guess, i hope some people can help me with them, i would really appreciate that.

Regards

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
HELP! making choises on Performance - Storage engine - Caching
November 08, 2009 08:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.