MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: word index - is there a better solution?
Posted by: Craig Logan
Date: June 07, 2010 01:02PM

taking your advise from an earlier post, I came to realize that I just need a single primary key (no idea why I didn't see that myself) because all queries on this table are first gonna look for lang and word_location and then select the word_id from what's left.

word_id will never be selected outside the context of lang/word_location, doc_id will always be the result.

I'm currently thinking of splitting up the table into smaller ones along the lines of
words_in_docs_en_location1
words_in_docs_en_location2
words_in_docs_en_location3
words_in_docs_de_location1
etc.

this would also allow me to eliminate the columns lang and word_location. On the downside, I would have like 60 word location tables sitting in my DB.

I've already seen servers with 512G RAM, however, so 1T is not too far away and it may be worth looking into that because 1T may just be enough to fit any one of the lang/location tables into.

Finally, I removed the phrase search (the second table) from the concept for now. I did some research on phrase search and this is not as trivial as I thought (in fact, I probably have a simple solution, but it's most likely useless for anything that has more than a few thousand rows).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: word index - is there a better solution?
June 07, 2010 01:02PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.