MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: COUNT(*) very slowly in large InnoDB table
Posted by: Dominik Leiner
Date: July 15, 2010 09:48AM

Hi!

Thanks a lot for this answer. I always thought that COUNT(*) was generally optimized - never considered that this is only true for MyISAM tables.

Of course I had run the queries multiple times to give caching a chance. The 8.4 seconds were the result after 4 or 5 runs.

Your guess about COUNT(project) was perfectly right: 1.2 instead of 8.7 seconds. I'm impressed. That is because this is a secondary index? For me this is contra-intuitive, I had bet that COUNT(*) should be the quickest...

Also right was your guess about the indices size: the "Index_length" is about 325M. This is 3-times 100M? I tried even more cache (512M), but the COUNT(*) did not improve.

> But, if you have a WHERE clause, all bets are off.

That was what I wondered so much about: Why the query using WHERE was not slower than the COUNT(*) without a WHERE. However, if MySQL needs to load the whole 2.9 GB to check the number of rows, things become more clear. Just why then is it so fast do query a single entry by 'id'? Does that not also need the index? Or is it just that some rows are cached?

Thanks for your help
Dominik

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2010 09:58AM by Dominik Leiner.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.