MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Basic Standards of Mysql server variable setting
Posted by: Rick James
Date: May 08, 2012 08:44AM

The most important question to ask about your system: Which engine? (Probably it is InnoDB.)

The read/write split is not much of a factor in tuning.

1000 "users" is vague. My bank has a million "users", but they don't have to worry about a million simultaneous logins. An online multi-user game with 1000 users does need to handle hundreds at once -- but that is at the front end, not at the database.

Do you have a "database layer"? I hope you do not have 1000 different logins to MySQL. It could handle it, but it is not wise to expose the database _directly_ to users. Instead, there should be a layer with PHP (or Java, or ...) that interacts, on one side, with the users. On the other side it interacts with the database.

> select queries - 80 to 90%
But how often (queries/sec)? How complex?

> Disk space is 500 GB (can assume avg. data size will be 350 GB)
This does not leave much room for maintenance.

> (can assume avg. data size will be 350 GB)
That's possibly in the 99th percentile of systems discussed here. You need to look carefully at a lot of aspects as you design the schema. A critical thing to do early is to pick the datatypes to be as small as can safely be done. That an many other tips can be found here:
http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/ricksrots
I will explain things further if needed.

> Insert queries - approx 5 to 6%
It will take a long time to fill up 350GB?

Back to your question. This will explain how to tune the critical values in my.cnf:
http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/memory
Beyond that, performance is a function of schema and application design.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Basic Standards of Mysql server variable setting
May 08, 2012 08:44AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.